It is no news: the names of players to prosecute high profile Afcon qualifiers against Benin and Lesotho are out.
The list relaased by coach Rohr represents a number of variables which include the following:
-Continuity : the bulk of the players invited are those that Rohr has worked with; those who buy into his methods ; those who – at one time or the other – have contributed to the success the Super Eagles have amassed in recent times.
– Reward: for the most part, players who play regularly and those who have played well for their clubs have been rewarded with call ups.
– Consistency: there are no shocks, Rohr has remained both predictable and consistent in his team selection.
– Potentials:it is now undeniable that Rohr’s boys have what it takes to face the best teams in the world and grind out positive results. This team has huge potentials.
– Rebuilding: the injection of newer names or notable returnees reveal that the rebuilding process continues.
– Exclusions: the exclusion of some big name players serve to highlight the strength in depth and opportunities open to the team at this point in time.
The Super Eagles would be expected to claim maximum points from the upcoming matches. The list of players invited do have what it takes to achieve this outcome.
That said, no teams can now be taken for granted in international football.