The news making the rounds of Samuel Chukwueze being linked with a winter move to Barcelona by certain media outlets is one that fills some Super Eagles fans with much ambivalence.
According to a number of online platforms, the Afcon bronze medallist has become the latest transfer target for Barcelona if they fail to land Neymar from Paris Saint-Germain in January.
As much as Super Eagles fans would like our players to move to big clubs, they also want them to be settled, enjoying their football whilst either breaking or setting new records.
With this in mind, one can’t say for sure whether to rejoice or worry if Chukwueze’s Barcelona move does see the light of day.
In this regards, Afrofooty has made some assumptions below as whether its better for Chukwueze to leave or stay at Villarreal:
– plays more week in week out
- Stability in his career
– Expected to score more goals.
– he will eventually be idolised by Villarreal fans
– Superstar status almost guaranteed.
– Continuity in his career growth.
– Not guaranteed game time. – he might have to be asked to change positions to accommodate others. – decent player status. – it will be difficult to be a idolised by fans (Barcelona will always have other mega stars) . – potential for shattered dreams (like Amuneke, Gbenga Okunowo or Coutinho). – if it doesn’t work out (like Philipe Coutinho), looking for a new club might disrupt his career in the short term.
- Chances to win trophies and play Champions League football.
No one can predict the future with any degree of accuracy. That said, should, Chukwueze eventually choose to move to Barcelona, he should have a plan ‘b’ lined up so he can trigger that plan very quickly if things don’t work out!