It is turning out to be another eventful weekend for Super Eagles eligible players across the globe as several of them kitted out for their clubs while other were predictably missing in action.
Afrofooty brings you info on how a 11 of these players got on by department:
1.Daniel Akpeyi: this ever-criticised never-loved goalkeeper continues to be favoured in South Africa as he was in goal for Kaizer Chiefs in their 0:1 away loss to Polokwane City yesterday.
In fact, the Afcon 2019 Super Eagles number 1 goalkeeper, who might find it difficult to displace Uzoho as Nigeria number one moving forward, has player 4 out of 5 Kaizer Chiefs games this season, keeping a clean sheet once.
2.Bryan Idowu: Soviet-Nigerian Super Eagle Idowu had to contend with a place on the bench yesterday as his Lokomotive Moscow won 1:0 away to Sochi.
The left back, whose goal against Argentina in a friendly match remains his highest point for Nigeria, has only featured in 3 out of 9 games for Lokomotive Moscow this season in Russia.
3.Semi Ajayi: with his team trailing 1:0 to Fulham yesterday, cometh the hour cometh the man! Ajayi asked the question with a fantastic header which was answered when it crashed into the net to give his team a much needed draw to keep their promotion hopes alive.
The 25 year old, who scored a crazy 8 goals for Rotherham last season (which were not enough for him to seal a place in Nigeria’s afcon squad), has played in all 7 games for Wes Brom this season.
4.Leon Balogun: Leon who? That is the response you would have got if you had asked for his name yesterday as the 30 year old was predictably omitted from Brighton’s matchday squad altogether as they drew 1:1 with Burnley in the English Premier League.
The former Super Eagles automatic centre back is yet to feature this season for Brighton.
5.William Troost Ekong: another Super Eagles defender who has not been firing on all cylinders of
late with indifferent performances for Nigeria.
The Dutch-Nigerian was nowhere near the matchday squad for Udinese as they narrowly lost 1:0 to Inter Milan yesterday. Ekong had player 90 minutes in each of Udinese’s previous league matches.
6. Chidozie Awaziem: the Super Eagles makeshift right back put in a commendable shift yesterday in his first league start for Leganes who found Villareal too hot to handle as they slumped to a 3:0 defeat.
His compatriot Omeruo was not listed for the match.
7. Peter Etebo: this are precarious times for Etebo and his Stoke team mates who lost again yesterday to bring their total tally to 6 losses, 1 draw and 0 win this season as the stay rooted to the bottom of the English Championship League.
Etebo, for his part, has featured in 4 games this season. One has to fear for his manager at this
8. Joe Aribo: the London-born Super Eagle was part a creative Rangers midfield as they decimated Livingston to bag home a 3:1 victory yesterday.
Aribo, whose goal for Nigeria during the week still leaves a sweet taste in many Super Eagles supporters’ mouths, has featured in all of Rangers' 5 games this season across several roles (CM, DM,LW, RW).
The 23 year old is indeed a verstile midfielder.
9. Wilfred Ndidi: the master of maximum disruption was his energetic best yesterday, thwarting many Manchester United attacking initiatives. Unfortunately, they still fell to a sole penalty-converted goal.
The Lagos born midfielder has featured in 4 out of 5 games for Leicester this season. His compatriot Iheanacho watched the match from his home telly.
10. Samuel Kalu: Kalu made some purposeful runs and tested the goalkeeper on occasions as his Bordeaux side ran away 2:0 winners against Metz in the league yesterday.
The 22 year old has featured in all of his team's 5 games this season however he is yet to register his name on the score-sheet.
His club and country team mate Josh Maja was introduced towards the end of the encounter.
11. Victor Osihmen: what a season this young man is having!
5 goals in 5 games is insane! The latest, against Angers on Friday, was reward for being at the right place at the right time with the goalkeeper parrying straight to the legs of Osimhen who was never going to reject such a gift!
The match ended 2:1 in favour of Osimhen’s team.